Home-Start believes that children need a happy and secure childhood and that parents have a key role in giving their children a good start in life and helping them achieve their full potential.
Home-Start support helps:
- Reduce family isolation and increase social support networks
- Strengthen parent-child relationships
- Improve parents’ physical health and emotional well being
- Develop and improve parenting skills
- Improve the home environment
- Improve children’s health, well being and development
- Increase access to health, education and community services
Home-Start provides a variety of services which includes:
- A volunteer with parenting experience who offers tailor made one-to-one home visiting support regularly – usually on a weekly basis
- Emotional support to help parents find ways to manage and resolve problems
- Direct support to children, including playing, listening, having fun, establish feeding routines, encouraging development and providing opportunities for outings and treats
- Practical help, perhaps with budgeting, nutrition and meal planning, cooking and making the home safe
- Outreach work so parents can get out and meet others and become more involved in their own community
- Information and links to other organisations including health and education services
- Attendance at meetings and moral support, especially in relation to dealing with case conferences and dealing with solicitors and court cases
- Access to parenting advice and parenting skills training
How do I get referred?
- You can ask your health visitor or any other professional you are involved with to make a referral for support on your behalf.
- You can refer yourself by calling our office team on 020 8667 0207, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or completing our online enquiry form
What happens after a referral has been made?
After your referral has been received and processed by the scheme, a coordinator will contact the family to arrange a time to visit and talk through their needs in order to find a best possible match of volunteer.