UPDATE: Home-Start Croydon have suspended all our services due to the Coronavirus. We will be reviewing this regularly so please watch this space. For more information, please take a look at our news page.
Home-Start Croydon is a voluntary organisation committed to supporting local families, in their own homes, who are experiencing difficulties or suffering stress and who have at least one child under the age of five years.
Our aims are:
To increase the confidence and independence of the family by:
- Offering support, friendship and practical assistance
- Visiting families in their own homes, where the dignity and identity of each adult and child can be respected and protected
- Reassuring parents that difficulties in bringing up children is not unusual and encouraging them to enjoy family life.
- Developing a relationship with the family in which time can be shared and understanding can be developed. This approach is flexible to take account of different needs.
- Encouraging parents’ strengths and emotional wellbeing – for the ultimate benefit of their children.
- Encouraging families to widen their network of relationships, and to effectively use the support and services available within the community.
In supporting all families, the welfare of the child is paramount.
Policies and Procedures
Equality, Fairness and Diversity
Home-Start Croydon welcomes values and difference. Equality of opportunity is at the heart of all we do. We treat everyone with respect and offer equal chances to participate.
Home-Start has high standards. We will investigate and take action on any reports of practice, which trustees, staff, volunteers or families believe to be unfair or discriminatory. A commitment to equal opportunities is at the heart of our work.
Performance is checked through Home-Start Quality Assurance assessments and reviews.
Home-Start ensures that all its other policies and procedures comply with this one.
Any individual who wishes to make a complaint may do so in writing either by letter or on a complaints form. A volunteer or member of staff can help you if needed.
All complaints will be reviewed seriously and you will receive a response as soon as possible.
Further details can be found in Home-Start Croydon’s Complaints Procedure (available on request).
Confidentiality, Sharing Information and Safeguarding
All personal information about parents, children and their family is treated as confidential, to be discussed only as necessary with the co-ordinator in support of the volunteer and to assist the family.
Any disclosure of confidential information to any other person will only be undertaken with expressed permission of the parents for the purpose of assisting the family.
The only exception is when it is considered necessary for the protection of a child, where information will be shared with the appropriate authority.
However, we find that support is more effective when all agencies working with a family are working together but we will seek authorisation from yourself to share appropriate information with them.
Our standard practice is to sharing key information about your support with the professional that referred you unless you request for us not to.
We keep confidential records of each Home-Start family according to the rules of the Data Protection Act. You have the right to request to see your file at anytime while you are with us and your file will be destroyed one year after it is closed, except in exceptional circumstances, adhering to Home-Start UK data storage guidelines.